This is my Mum’s Apple Crumble recipe and it’s a winner! What dinner isn’t made better by a comforting, sweet and fruity dessert?! This is so delicious with my Mum’s custard, but cream or ice cream would be just as good.
You could change the apples easily to something like a plum, and add berries into the mix too which I like doing…especially when they’re hedge picked blackberries from the woods over from my Mum’s house!
Mum’s Apple Crumble
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 45 minutes Servings: 6
- 112g plain gluten free flour (I use Dove’s Farm)
- 112g oats (use gluten free if needed)
- 150g soft brown sugar plus a little extra for sprinkling
- 75g butter at room temperature
- 1 level teaspoon of baking powder
- 4 – 5 bramley cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- Handful of sultantas
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon plus a sprinkle extra
- 1/2 teaspoon each of ginger and nutmeg (or a teaspoon of mixed spice)
- Extra demerera sugar to sprinkle on top
- Optional berries (frozen would do) or swap apples for another seasonal fruit such as plums
- In a bowl mix together with your hands all of the flour, sugar, oats, butter and baking powder. You need to keep working the mixture in between your finger tips until it resembles a crumb-like texture. Next, mix in the spices and put aside
- Peel and slice the apples, and then put the first layer in the bottom of a oven-proof dish. On top of this top layer, sprinkle on some of the extra soft brown sugar and cinnamon, then a few of the sultanas. Repeat until all the apples have been used up and layered
- Top with the crumble mix and then sprinkle on the demerera sugar on top, which will create a caramely top once baked
- You can then either leave it until you want to bake. Once ready, place in a preheated oven at 150 degrees for approximately 45 minutes until golden and the apples are cooked
- Serve with custard, cream or ice cream! Enjoy!