This recipe is not mine, but invented by the wonderful Minimalist Baker (www.minimalistbaker.com). However, it’s SO GOOD I couldn’t resist sharing it as well. Seriously, if for some reason my bananas don’t end up getting chopped up to go into the freezer for banana icecream or smoothies, they end up going into this!
This recipe is so easy, literally chuck everything into one bowl and mix! It’s also really moist (sorry to use that word!) and really flavoursome…and of course, completely gluten free!
This cake gets requested a lot at home. Make it, and you’ll see why!
One Bowl Banana Bread
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 – 60 minutes Servings: 10 slices
- 3 medium ripe bananas + 1 banana for decoration (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg (or substitute with a flax egg if you need it to be vegan)
- 3 tablespoons / 45ml coconut oil, melted
- 2/4 cups / 100g brown sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 3.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cups / 180ml unsweetened almond or dairy milk
- 1 1/4 cups / 137g ground almonds
- 1 1/4 cups / 200g gluten free plain flour
- 1 1/4 cups / 200g gluten free oats
- Preheat the oven to 170c and line a loaf pan with grease proof paper
- In a bowl mash the bananas, and then mix in all the ingredients except the ground almond, oats and flour. Make sure the rest of the ingredients are fully combined, then add your dry ingredients and stir
- Tip into the loaf tin and if using, slice one banana lengthways and put ontop, sprinkling with a little brown sugar
- Cover with a loose piece of parchament paper so the top of the cake doesn’t catch, and then place into the oven and cook for 40 minutes before checking on it. Keep cooking until a cocktail stick or skewer comes out clean, which may take up to an hour
- When ready, remove from the oven and let it cool in the tin before tipping out and cooling completely on a wire cooling rack
- Ensure it is completely cool before trying to slice as it won’t hold it’s form if you try too early!
- Serve on it’s own, or with some greek yoghurt and berries for a tasty dessert (or breakfast!) ENJOY!!