The last of my Schar fresh pasta recipes was with their Tortellini con prosciutto crudo. I love a tortellini but unfortunately I couldn’t try this out as I no longer eat meat! However, I had a very willing participant to try it out for me, so I came up with a sauce I thought would compliment the pasta and make it even tastier.
This sweet red pepper and tomato sauce with fresh basil running through it sets off the prosciutto nicely, as I wanted to make sure that I didn’t want to take away too much from the flavour of the ham inside the pasta shell. I would say from the empty plate I had left in front of me in a matter of minutes tells me it tasted pretty good!
The sauce uses just your average store cupboard ingredients and is a go-to for me when I need a tasty dish in under 20 minutes; and using the Schar tortellini which cooks in 4 minutes makes this dish even easier!
Schar Tortellini with a Sweet Pepper & Tomato Sauce
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Servings: 2
- 1 packet Schar Tortellini con prosciutto crudo
- 2 shallots (or 1 small onion)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400ml can of good quality chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- small bunch of fresh basil
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- parmesan shavings to garnish
- To prepare for the pasta, have a medium sized pan of water on a rolling boil
- In a small saucepan over a medium heat, add the oil and add your chopped shallots. Cook until translucent then add in your crushed garlic clove and fry for a few minutes
- Next add in the peppers, chopped into small pieces. Cook for around 5 minutes until they begin to soften
- Add in the oregano and stir, cooking for another minute
- Tip in the tin of chopped tomatoes, as well as the splash of balsamic vinegar. Let the sauce come to a simmer, then taste and season
- Meanwhile add the tortellini to the pan of boiling water and cook as per packet instructions; they should take about 4 minutes until al dente
- Just before serving, roughly chop your basil and add to the sauce and stir through
- Drain your pasta and top with the sweet rich pepper and tomato sauce, then garnish with parmesan shavings and more basil