As you may have noticed, I do love a pancake at the weekend! However, I wanted to find something in between my grainless pancakes and my American pancakes…and these are the perfect middle ground!
Still high in fibre because of the oats, but also gorgeously golden and fluffy. These happen to be dairy free as well as gluten free, and are perfect for a lazy Sunday morning.
Banana Oat Pancakes
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Servings: 2
- 3 small ripe bananas, or 2 medium, mashed
- 1 cup of oat flour (if you do not have oat flour, take 1 cup of oats and blend in a food processor until it resembles a flour consistency)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (or regular butter), melted
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup, honey, or agave syrup
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- Optional toppings of banana, nuts, fruit compote, berries, maple syrup or honey and Greek or coconut yoghurt
- In a bowl, stir together the bananas, coconut oil (or butter), lemon juice and your choice of syrup, then beat in the eggs into the mix
- In a separate bowl, mix together the oat flour, baking soda, salt and spices
- Form a well in the centre of the dry mix, and pour in the wet ingredients. With a spoon combine the two, ensuring you do not over mix but that all the ingredients are moist
- Let the batter sit for 10 minutes. It will be thicker than normal due to the oats, but you may want to loosen it up with a dairy free milk (or regular milk if you do not require it to be dairy free), or water
- Heat a frying pan or skillet over a medium heat and lightly oil or butter. Once that is bubbling, pour spoonfuls of the batter mix onto the pan. Let the pancake cook for about 3-4 minutes, until you start to see bubbles forming at the top. At this point, carefully flip them over and cook on the other side for a minute or so
- Serve the pancakes immediately, or keep them warm on a hot plate until all the batter has been cooked. Serve and adorn with your toppings of choice!