My step-mom, Terésa, gave me the recipe for these muffins months ago and I just never got round to making them…until now! My Dad follows a paleo diet, and she has to avoid gluten, so this recipe was quite the find! She found the recipe on a website called ‘ultimatepaleo.com’, and I think these are now going to be a staple in my house too, as well as theirs!
The batter when making these looked a lot different to any other muffin or cake I’d made before and because of that I wasn’t convinced at all that they’d rise, but somehow it worked! It’s a lot thicker than a normal cake mixture, but the texture you get once baked is so good. I wouldn’t say it’s like the normal gluten-filled muffins I remember having, but it’s so so tasty, and you know it’s good for you… as opposed to those butter and sugar laden ones from the coffee shop!
I really do think these will become a go-to recipe for those wanting to miss out on the gluten and refined sugar, and I’m excited to develop the flavours in these further. Next flavour toss-up is between a chocolate, banana and walnut, a blueberry, or an apple and cinnamon…or all three!
Almond and Dark Chocolate Muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 12-15 minutes Servings: 8
- 2 cups / 230g ground almonds or almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup / 90g dark chocolate (I used 74% cocoa)
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees and line a muffin tin with paper muffin cases
- In a large bowl, stir together your almonds, bicarbonate of soda and salt
- In a separate bowl, whisk together your eggs, coconut oil, honey, vanilla and apple cider vinegar
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir to combine, but do not over-mix
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Evenly distribute into your muffin cases, then place into the oven and bake between 12-15 minutes until a skewer comes out clean
- Place onto a wire rack to cool, then serve and enjoy!!!