As much as I love overnight oats, chia pudding, or even just a big bowl of fresh fruit to start my day, my favourite breakfast will always be a big bowl of oats! It’s delicious, filling, and so comforting. I love just plain oats topped with berries, banana or some nuts, but I thought I’d mix it up and see if I could add some vegetables into my morning. Voilà, carrot cake oats were born…and who doesn’t like carrot cake?!
Carrot Cake Oats
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Servings: 1
- 1/2 cup of oats (gluten free if you’re sensitive to oat gluten)
- 1 cup of milk or 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup water (diary, lactose free, coconut or almond all works well)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon, ginger and mixed spice
- handful of sultanas
- a few chopped walnuts
- In a pan, add the oats, carrot and choice of milk. Let it soak for about 10 minutes
- Next, turn on the hob onto a medium heat and add in the mashed banana, spices and sultanas into the pan
- Stir all together and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until it reaches the consistency you like
- Top with the other half of the banana and the chopped nuts. Enjoy!