This is such a go-to meal for me now, whether that’s for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner! Eggs poached in a spiced tomato sauce and greens. Served on its own for breakfast or brunch, maybe with a slice of gluten free toast if I’m extra hungry…or with more vegetables on the side for lunch or dinner. It’s simple, but a crowd pleaser, so give it a go!
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 – 40 minutes Servings: 2 – 3
- 2 eggs per person, so depending on how many you’re cooking for, alter accordingly
- 1 onion (if using and not following FODMAP) diced
- 1 – 2 bell peppers, cut into small chunks
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 – 2 cans of chopped tomatoes, dependant on how many you’re cooking for
- 1 bag of spinach, kale or spring greens, or a mix of all
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of chilli flakes and cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- optional grated parmesan
- fresh coriander to serve
- In a large pan, put a little oil in on a medium heat. Add in the onion and sauté for 5 minutes until they start to soften
- After this, add in the bell pepper and herbs and cook for a further 10 minutes
- Add in the tomato purée and cook out for a few minutes
- Add the cans of chopped tomatoes and the chilli, paprika and cumin.
- Reduce to a low heat and simmer to thicken. If it thickens too much, you can add a little water to keep it loose
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, and add salt and pepper
- Add in your greens of choice and let them simmer in the sauce for a few minutes until they wilt. This will take about 5 minutes, depending on the greens you use
- In the sauce, use a spoon to make little dips. Within these dips in the sauce, crack in the eggs. On top of the egg, this is when you can add your optional parmesan, as well as a little salt and pepper
- Now, pop the pan under the grill and finish cooking the eggs. Depending on how you like your eggs (runny yolk or not!) it can take 5-10 minutes. Enjoy!