Yes. That’s right. Gin and tonic…in cake form! This is ridiculously good, but not child friendly I’m afraid!
My girlfriends and I have an obsession with G&Ts, so I knew I had to bake a cake to complement our favourite drink, and so this cake was born!
It uses quite a lot of limes, but I promise you, it’s worth it. This is such a moist and zesty cake, with a slight kick of gin and tonic…and what to serve it with? A glass of gin and tonic of course!
Gin and Tonic Cake!
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 25 – 35 minutes Servings: 6 – 8
For the cake:
- 110g softened unsalted butter
- 110g caster sugar
- 100g gluten free plain flour (I use Dove’s Farm)
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthum gum (I use Dove’s Farm)
- 1 teaspoon of baking flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 5 limes, zest finely grated
- 30ml gin
- 30ml tonic water
For the syrup:
- 125g caster sugar
- The juice of 4 limes from the cake mixture above
- 15ml gin
- 15ml tonic water
For the icing:
- 100g icing sugar, sifted
- The juice of 1 of the limes from the cake mixture
- 10ml gin
- 10ml tonic water
- Zest from 1 more lime
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease either a cake pan or loaf tin with unsalted butter
- Whisk all of the cake ingredients together until pale and fluffy, and spoon the batter into the prepared tin, smooth over the top and bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until an inserted skewer or cocktail stick comes out clean. Baking time will alter depending on the tin you use
- In the meantime, put the syrup ingredients into a saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved
- Once the cake is is out of the oven, leave it to cool for ten minutes before upturning onto a wire rack. Put a sheet of greaseproof paper underneath the rack in preperation for the next step
(Do not expect your cake to have risen too much. This is quite a flat cake, but incredibly moist)
- Stab the hot cake all over with a skewer and spoon over the syrup and leave to soak in. Let the cake cool completely
- Mix the icing ingredients together and drizzle over the cake. Decorate with the extra lime zest
- Serve with a glass of G&T, and enjoy!