This is utter indulgence. You can try and kid yourself that the aubergines make up for the amount of cheese in this dish, but who really cares? Sometimes you just need to embrace the gooeyness of melted mozzarella in a delicious Italian tomato sauce layered in between aubergine slices.
I like to serve this as a lunch with some green salad leaves, but you could serve it up as a light dinner with some salads or vegetables.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Servings: 4
- 4 aubergines, cut lengthways into thick slices
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (or use garlic oil if following FODMAP diet)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 balls of mozzarella, shredded
- 85g parmesan cheese (or vegetarian alternative) grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- Pack of fresh basil, leaves torn
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees. In a pan, mix together 4 tablespoons of the oil and the garlic. Cook over a medium heat for 3 minutes, ensuring you do not burn the garlic
- Tip in the tomato purée and cook out for a few minutes. Add in the cans of chopped tomatoes, dried herbs and stir. Let it sit there over a low heat and simmer away
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan, or a frying pan if you don’t have one, until hot. Brush the aubergines with a little of the oil and add to the pan. Cook in batches over a high heat until browned and cooked through, which takes about 5 minutes. Once cooked, let them sit on kitchen paper as the oil will seep out. Repeat until all the aubergine has been cooked. Alternatively, you can place them in the oven to cook, but you have to keep an eye on them that they don’t burn, and keep flipping them over so they cook evenly
- Once all the aubergine is cooked, lay a few of them in an oven proof dish, then spoon over some of the sauce. Sprinkle over some of the parmesan and some of the mozzarella, as well as the basil leaves. Top with another layer of aubergine, repeating all the way up.
- Finally, pour over the beaten egg, sprinkle with a little more parmesan and place in the oven to bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until the top is bubbling and golden. Enjoy!