I’m obsessed with pancakes at the minute…grain free banana pancakes, oat flour pancakes (coming soon!), or the usual thin English pancakes…but American pancakes have always been a favourite of mine since travelling over in the summer holidays when we were little to visit my Dad. My step-mom, Terèsa, would whip us up huge batches of blueberry or chocolate chip pancakes, smothered in maple syrup and mountains of berries…pure heaven!
I’ve failed at trying to re-create these as gluten free a few times, but I think I’ve cracked it. Pile on the fruit and syrup and enjoy an indulgent breakfast this weekend!
Gluten Free American Pancakes
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 – 20 minutes Servings: 2 – 4 dependant on hunger!
- 225g gluten free plain flour (I use Dove’s Farm)
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthum gum
- 30g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 300ml milk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- Butter for frying
- Fruit such as berries, to serve, with maple syrup or honey
N.B You can also add blueberries or chocolate chips straight into the batter mix
- You can either just put all of the ingredients into a blender and blitz, or you can make the batter by hand
- If doing it by hand, in a bowl, pour in the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar, and mix together
- Make a well in flour mixture, and beat in the eggs, melted butter and milk. Combine together well, but do not over mix
- Pour the batter into a jug as this is easier to pour into the frying pan
- Heat a smooth frying pan on a medium heat
- Pour in some batter onto the pan. I can usually get about 3 pancakes onto one pan at once
- Leave it to cook on one side until you start to notice the pancake bubbling. At this point, carefully flip over and finish cooking on the other side, but this will only take about a minute
- Repeat the above until all the mixture is cooked, keeping the cooked pancakes warm in the oven on a hot plate, covered.
- Enjoy your pancakes adorned with berries and syrup, or whatever you fancy!