Cupcakes just got better…filled! These cupcakes are insane. Lemon sponge cakes, hollowed out and filled with a zesty lemon filling, and then topped with a whipped lemon frosting… I KNOW!!! Seriously though, these won’t hang around for long, so make sure you do like me, and eat as you’re making!
I made these for work after I asked a colleague what their favourite cake was and they said a lemon drizzle. Now, there’s nothing wrong with a lemon drizzle, in fact my Grandma’s lemon drizzle is to die for, but sometimes you just wana fancy it up a bit…and these were born!
You can of course make your own lemon curd, which always taste best, but when time is of the essence I totally think buying it already made is justified…especially when you’re already spending time making the cakes!
These have just opened my eyes to a whole world of filled cupcakes to come…nutella, chocolate, coconut (obvs!)…. I need to get back in the kitchen STAT!
Lemon Curd Cupcakes
Prep Time: 40 minutes Cook Time: 20-25 minutes + frosting time Servings: 12 Cupcakes
Lemon Cupcake Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups / 210g gluten free plain flour (I use Dove’s Farm)
- 1 teaspoon xanthum gum
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 6 tablespoons / 85g butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cups / 150g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cups / 55ml sour cream
- 3/4 cups / 170ml milk
- 1 1/2 cups / 180g lemon curd
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whipped Lemon Frosting Ingredients
- 8oz / 225g cream cheese
- 1 cup / 140g icing sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups / 90g lemon curd
- 1 1/2 cups / 337ml whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 170c and line a muffin tin with 12 cases
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, xanthum gum and salt
- In a bowl with an electric mixer fitted, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy, and it looks pale. Next add in 1 egg a time time, making sure you beat well after each addition. Then add in the vanilla, lemon juice and zest
- With the mixer on low, slowly add in a third of your flour to your wet mixture, followed by half the milk and sour cream. Add in the next third followed by the rest of the milk, and the remaining third of the flour with the rest of your sour cream, ensuring to mix thoroughly at each stage so it is evenly incorporated
- Divide the batter into the cupcake cases and tap the tray once filled on the counter to remove any bubbles. Put into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Once cooked, let them cool in the pan for about 10 minutes then remove onto a cooling rack until they are completely cool
- Whilst the cakes are cooling, next make the whipped frosting. In a large bowl cream together the cream cheese, icing sugar, salt and vanilla. Add the lemon curd until fully incorporated. In a separate bowl, whisk the cream until it’s thick and forms stiff peaks. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture and carefully mix together to combine. Set aside in the fridge until you’re ready to decorate
- When the cakes have completely cooled, take a small knife or melon baller and scoop out the middle of the cake. Fill the hole with a generous spoonful of lemon curd and repeat until all the cakes are filled
- Put the whipped lemon frosting into a large piping bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe the frosting onto each cupcake, starting at the edges and swirling round into the centre of the cake. Repeat until all cakes are covered and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve
- Enjoy them whilst they last!